02 April 2009

Let Your Crazy Out During Holy Times

Calls to my study often begin with, “I know you think I am crazy. . .” I sometimes do think that, but generally keep it to myself. The implication being that their problem is just too small, unimportant, and certainly not worthy of the attention of such a busy priest. (Clergy everywhere are laughing- except for a few hand wringers.)

As we approach Holy Week and Easter, I am reminded that it is usually around such holy occasions that the ‘crazy’ comes out. A few years back I received two requests for exorcisms within a two week period. Most of the calls around holy days are not so extreme. People just get religious. They are thinking about family members who have died, the ones they wish would die, and of all the feelings and thoughts they have been holding onto (This is not at all personal. I have heard people say things like this.) So they reach out to clergy like me, hoping for a listening ear.

I hope that clergy respond to people reaching out for counsel. We are not therapists. I can listen, I can pray with folks, hear confession, anoint, read scripture with, recommend books to, admonish, encourage, edify, and do all sorts of things passed down to me through the traditions of scripture and the Church.

I hope that parishioners can and will reach out. This is all simple stuff. but stuff that bears repeating. Don't fear the anxiety that comes up during holy times. Instead, rely on the traditions of prayer, and avail yourself of the resources of the Church and the community. We just mind find that God meets us in the crazy places of our lives.

No comments: