19 March 2009

Meeting God

Here in the study, I often encounter people sharing stories of their faith journeys. I love that part of my vocation. We all have a story, and I find that nobody has a story that is any crazier than any other story. (Some are crazier, but we all have our unique pit stops on the way.)
Recently, I listened to the story of someone desparately seeking some connection with God. They were not feeling close to God at all. As I listened I felt that this person was looking for some special revelation. I had to tell them that such experiences don't happen for everyone. I don't think they heard me.
The conversation continued with the lament that every time they came to church they left disappointed. "I don't care about the music, the sermon, or getting to know anyone. Isn't it really all about me and God?" After hearing that question several times, I just had to answer. "No. It isn't all about you and God." Community matters, and it is in community that we often meet God.
Jesus called disciples to follow, and to do his work. The followers of Christ have come together to work and worship for 2000 years. In serving others and praying together we learn what it is to love God. We may even learn what it is to be loved. I don't want to discount personal devotion. We need that as well. That devotion also needs to have a place for expression. I find that it is easiest with a community designated for the purpose of following Christ. "Easy" may not be the best description. Living in community is hard. No relationship is easy.
As to my visitor, I realized that they were meeting God, but didn't notice God's presence. They weren't meeting God in church or in meditation. They told me a couple of stories of reaching out to others. They had given money to a co-worker in need. They had bought groceries for a needy family. They were meeting God in those actions. God was working through them. They had met God in an unexpected place: themselves.

No comments: